Opportunity for college students: Global Solutions Conversations
During Global Solutions Conversations, community college and university students from the United States and university students from Jordan and Iraq meet live in binational groups to discuss global challenges inspired by the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Through a six-week virtual exchange series consisting of six binational calls, students will practice cross cultural collaboration and learn about each other’s culture as they engage in the process of design thinking and discuss global issues in their community. Individual teams will brainstorm a community project idea to support increased sustainability in their local communities.
Faculty members at community colleges and universities in the US and universities in Jordan or Iraq have the opportunity to apply to facilitate a bi-national group.
Global Solutions is implemented by IREX and is supported by the J. Christopher Stevens Virtual Exchange Initiative (JCSVEI). JCSVEI is a U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs program administered by the Aspen Institute.
About the Stevens Initiative
The Stevens Initiative is an international leader in virtual exchange, which brings young people from diverse places together to collaborate and connect through everyday technology. Created in 2015 as a lasting tribute to Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, the Initiative invests in virtual exchange programs; shares research, resources, and promising practices to improve impact; and advocates for broader adoption. Learn more: https://www.stevensinitiative.org/
The participating facilitator will:
- Form and lead a gender-balanced group of at least 8 students from their institution;
- Participate in a virtual facilitator training;
- Partner effectively with the facilitator co-lead in the US, Jordan or Iraq;
- Attend all six virtual sessions, including IREX facilitated sessions;
- Schedule and support facilitation of the binational calls for session two, session three, session four, and session five with your partner facilitator;
- Engage in ongoing communications and support with IREX;
- Motivate and ensure your group’s completion of the virtual exchange, including survey evaluation data.
The participating facilitator will be responsible for ensuring their group will:
- Participate and engage in each virtual session with their counterparts through Zoom;
- Ensure their ideas are innovative, their own, and meet academic integrity standards;
- Provide a submission for their country group/individuals for the final session.
Upon completion of the series, facilitators and students will:
- Earn a certificate for completing the virtual exchange;
- Receive an honorarium;
- Gain access to a network of global educators and students;
November 26, 2023: Application Deadline
February 2024: Facilitator Training
February 18, 2024 – April 5, 2024: Virtual Exchange Program
- Current faculty member at a US community college or university, or university in Jordan or Iraq.
*Please note, applications that do not meet each of these eligibility requirements will not be forwarded to the selection committee.
IREX reserves the right to verify all the information included in the application. In the event of a discrepancy, or information that is found to be false, the application will immediately be declared invalid and the applicant ineligible.
IREX does not discriminate against grant applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by U.S. law. IREX and the Global Solutions Program promote inclusion and diversity in learning. Facilitators with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply to Global Solutions Conversations
Consult the list of eligibility requirements and then use the following button to apply:
*Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must be submitted online.
- Spring 2024 Cohort: November 26, 2023, at 11:59 PM EST.
Applicants will be notified of selection status the week of November 26, 2023.