Opportunity for college students: Global Solutions Conversations
During Global Solutions Conversations, community college and university students from the United States and university students from Jordan and Iraq meet live in binational groups to discuss global challenges inspired by the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Through a six-week virtual exchange series consisting of six binational calls, students will practice cross cultural collaboration and learn about each other’s culture as they engage in the process of design thinking and discuss global issues in their community. Individual teams will brainstorm a community project idea to support increased sustainability in their local communities.
Faculty members at community colleges and universities in the US and universities in Jordan or Iraq have the opportunity to apply to facilitate a bi-national group.
Global Solutions Conversations is supported by the Stevens Initiative, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, with funding provided by the U.S. Government, and administered by the Aspen Institute.
About the Stevens Initiative
The Stevens Initiative is an international effort to build global competence and career readiness for young people in the United States and the Middle East and North Africa while growing and enhancing the field of virtual exchange: online, international, and collaborative learning. Housed at the Aspen Institute, the Stevens Initiative is sponsored by the US Department of Sate with funding provided by the US Government and is administered by the Aspen Institute. It is also supported by the Bezos Family Foundation and the governments of Morocco and the United Arab Emirates. For further information, please visit http://www.stevensinitiative.org/ .
The participating facilitator will:
- Form and lead a gender-balanced group of at least 8 students from their institution;
- Participate in a virtual facilitator training;
- Partner effectively with the facilitator co-lead in the US, Jordan or Iraq;
- Attend all six virtual sessions, including IREX facilitated sessions;
- Schedule and support facilitation of the binational calls for session two, session three, session four, and session five with your partner facilitator;
- Engage in ongoing communications and support with IREX;
- Motivate and ensure your group’s completion of the virtual exchange, including survey evaluation data.
The participating facilitator will be responsible for ensuring their group will:
- Participate and engage in each virtual session with their counterparts through Zoom;
- Ensure their ideas are innovative, their own, and meet academic integrity standards;
- Provide a submission for their country group/individuals for the final session.
Upon completion of the series, facilitators and students will:
- Earn a certificate for completing the virtual exchange;
- Gain access to a network of global educators and students;
- Gain access to Department of State alumni opportunities.
November 28, 2021: Application Deadline
January 2022: Facilitator Training
March/April 2022: Sessions 1 - 6
- Current faculty member at a US community college or university, or university in Jordan or Iraq.
*Please note, applications that do not meet each of these eligibility requirements will not be forwarded to the selection committee.
IREX reserves the right to verify all of the information included in the application. In the event that there is a discrepancy, or information is found to be false, the application will immediately be declared invalid and the applicant ineligible.
IREX does not discriminate against grant applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by U.S. law. The Global Solutions Program promotes inclusion and diversity in learning. Facilitators with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply to Global Solutions Conversations
Consult the list of eligibility requirements and then use the following button to apply:
*Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must be submitted online.
- Spring 2022 Cohort: Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST
Applicants will be notified of selection status the week of December 6th, 2021.