IREX facilitates in-person and virtual workshops of Data for Leaders content, contextualized to the unique experiences and perspectives of participants. The trainings last between 2-4 days and are suitable for a broad audience of leadership types including the following:
- Emerging and established public and civic leaders.
- People who influence other people’s decisions, like educators and journalists.
- Youth seeking to engage more actively in community issues.
- Entrepreneurs and business leaders promoting positive social change in their work.
Recognizing that leaders are experts in their respective environments, D4L puts them in the driver’s seat of how they engage with data and how it can be incorporated to complement the decision-making process through fun, practical, and engaging activities. D4L is designed to have participants engage and learn from each other and reflect on their own experiences to inform how to navigate an increasingly data-driven world.
Facilitators avoid training methods that rely on the memorization of concepts and instead set a learning environment where leaders can apply and reflect on how to incorporate specific skills intentionally in their work. Methods that foster this learning environment include the following:
- Presenting concepts through group discussions so leaders can share and learn from each other’s diverse perspectives.
- Collaborative exercises where leaders can navigate the application of specific skills and concepts in a group setting.
- Incorporating current data and research relevant to common issues they are working to address.
- Modular curriculum design to be highly customizable and support specific skill areas of interest and need.
- Setting a safe and inclusive space for leaders to contribute to and explore new concepts authentically.