Opportunity for K-12 Educators in Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia: Apply for the World Smarts STEM Educators Workshop
The World Smarts STEM Workshop for Educators is designed to bring together distinguished educators interested in implementing a virtual exchange focused on STEM learning and global competence.
During the workshop, IREX will share lessons learned from two years of The World Smarts STEM Challenge implementation and practical resources to enable adaptation of the virtual exchange program, featuring sessions led by experts in the field.
Approximately 30 educators based in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area will be selected to participate. Attendees must be available to attend the workshop in person. A transport stipend, certificate of completion, and lunch will be provided.
- Current K-12 educator or implementer of STEM and/or virtual exchange initiatives at a nonprofit organization based in the Washington, DC metro area.
- A background in teaching STEM and/or global education.
- Experience and/or strong interest in incorporating STEM, global perspectives, and cultural awareness among students through virtual exchanges, with a commitment to excellence in teaching and learning.
- Must be available to attend the workshop in-person on May 16-17.
- No prior experience on the World Smarts STEM Challenge.
Benefits for Educators
- Learn a new method of globalizing K-12 classrooms while building students STEM and 21st century skills.
- Engage in meaningful conversations with other educators across school districts in the DC, Maryland and Virginia who facilitate global education and STEM learning initiatives.
- Reflect on prior experiences from student and teacher alumni to help put IREX-provided resources, based on lessons learned from two years of successful programming, into context and practice.
- Understand how to implement a virtual exchange with other schools locally and globally.
How to apply
Apply by March 8, 2024 to attend the workshop.
Thursday, May 16, 2024, 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM EDT
Friday, May 17, 2024, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM EDT
Location: The Madison Hotel, Washington DC
1177 15th St NW, Washington, DC 20005
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Carol O’Donnell, Director, Smithsonian Science Education Center
Sarah Bever, Senior Technical Advisor for Basic Education, IREX
Dr. Kelly Lynn Mulvey, Associate Professor, North Carolina State University
Dr. Adam Hartstone-Rose, Professor, North Carolina State University
Amaris Mohammed, Senior Program Officer II, IREX