Opportunity for faculty members: Global Solutions Sustainability Challenge
The Global Solutions Sustainability Challenge is a virtual exchange initiative that supports career readiness in the U.S., Iraq, and Jordan. Community college students from the U.S. and technical college and university students from Iraq and Jordan team up to solve global challenges facing the business sector across industries. The program improves global citizenship, strengthens problem-solving skills, and develops enduring connections, while enhancing students’ job skills through online collaboration.
Faculty members at community colleges in the U.S. and universities in Jordan or Iraq have the opportunity to apply to facilitate a binational team.
The Global Solutions Sustainability Challenge is supported by the Stevens Initiative, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, with funding provided by the U.S. Government, and is administered by the Aspen Institute.
About the Stevens Initiative
The Stevens Initiative is an international effort to build global competence and career-readiness skills for young people in the United States and the Middle East and North Africa while growing and enhancing the field of virtual exchange: online, international, and collaborative learning. The Stevens Initiative is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, with funding provided by the U.S. Government, and is administered by the Aspen Institute. It is also supported by the Bezos Family Foundation and the governments of Morocco and the United Arab Emirates. For further information, please visit http://www.stevensinitiative.org/.
The participating facilitator will:
- Form and lead a gender-balanced team from their college of at least eight students.
- Participate in facilitator training either in person or virtual.
- Partner effectively with their facilitator colead in the U.S./Jordan/Iraq.
- Lead the team’s virtual and in-person instruction and collaboration.
- Engage in ongoing communications and support with IREX, including through anecdotes and photographs.
- Motivate the team and ensure the team’s completion of the challenge, including the survey evaluation data.
- If selected as a semifinalist, attend the Virtual Global Business Expo.
The participating facilitator will be responsible for ensuring their team will:
- Work with their counterparts over the course of the program through a virtual platform to collaboratively design and implement the creation of innovative solutions to the team’s selected global challenge.
- Ensure their ideas are innovative, their own, and meet academic integrity standards.
- Submit a business plan of their solution and a video no longer than five minutes to creatively showcase their solution and be considered as a finalist.
- If selected as a semifinalist team, attend the Virtual Global Business Expo.
- Current faculty member in an academic institution in Iraq, Jordan, or the United States.
- Two or more years of teaching experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and education.
Please note, applications that do not meet each of these eligibility requirements will not be forwarded to the selection committee.
IREX reserves the right to verify all of the information included in the application. In the event that there is a discrepancy, or information is found to be false, the application will immediately be declared invalid and the applicant ineligible.
IREX does not discriminate against grant applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by U.S. law. The Global Solutions Program promotes inclusion and diversity in learning. Facilitators with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply to the Global Solutions Sustainability Challenge
Consult the list of eligibility requirements and then use the following button to apply.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must be submitted online.
- Fall 2020 Cohort:
- Deadline: Sunday, April 19, 2020, at 11:59 EST
- Spring 2021 Cohort: Stay tuned for the application deadline for Spring 2021 Cohort.
Applicants will be notified of selection status the week of March 3, 2020.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.