Mandela Washington Fellowship Reciprocal Exchange opportunity for Fellows and American professionals
The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders – the flagship program of the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) – was created in 2014 to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
The Reciprocal Exchange Component provides Americans with the opportunity to travel to Africa to build upon strategic partnerships and professional connections developed during the Mandela Washington Fellowship in the United States:
- The Reciprocal Exchange Component provides funds for American professionals to travel to Sub-Saharan African countries to continue collaborative work with Mandela Washington Fellows on the continent.
- American professionals may include those met during the Mandela Washington Fellowship through site visits, networking, the Summit, Professional Development Experiences, or other activities.
- Through these projects, Americans and young African leaders form lasting partnerships, expand markets and networks, and increase mutual understanding between the United States and countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Learn how Americans have leveraged the Reciprocal Exchange Component to increase opportunities for their businesses in the United States. Learn about previous projects between Fellows and American professionals.
Reciprocal Exchange Award Timeline
- Application Deadline: March 13, 2019
- Grant Period: May – November 2019
American professionals participating in the Reciprocal Exchange must be U.S. citizens currently living in the United States. American professionals may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government (including a U.S. Embassy, USAID, and other U.S. Government entities).
Fellows must be considered alumni of the Fellowship by the Department of State and must be in good standing. Fellows may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government.
American professionals, including previous Award recipients, and Fellows from all cohorts are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to Americans and Fellows who have not previously participated in the Reciprocal Exchange.
- Reciprocal Exchange Application Guidelines (PDF, 571 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 495 KB)
- American Professional Application Form
- Fellow Application Form
- Work Plan Template
- Budget Template
- Reciprocal Exchange Overview (PDF, 424 KB)
Please contact REmwf@irex.org with any questions
The Mandela Washington Fellowship is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and administered by IREX. For more information about the Fellowship, please visit yali.state.gov/washington-fellowship.