Syria Justice & Accountability Centre (SJAC)
The Syria Justice and Accountability Center (SJAC) helps hold human rights abuse perpetrators accountable and provides opportunities for future reconciliation. By gathering, analyzing and publishing online on-the-ground evidence of abuses, SJAC provides an invaluable resource for those already engaged in documenting atrocities in Syria.
The interactive data found at the Center's website effectively identifies patterns of events and those who bear responsibility for crimes. It also captures an historical record of victims and includes a map marking incidence locations and video reports.
IREX and the Public International Law and Policy Group (PILPG) are the SJAC's primary partners. IREX provides organizational development and technical assistance to help build the institution. PILPG provides assistance on activities related to transitional justice.
Build an independent, multilateral, and sustainable institution for accountability and justice for Syria.
The prolonged, brutal and complicated conflict in Syria left the international community wondering what it could do to make a difference for Syrians. Concerned about ongoing violence and mounting human rights violations, in April 2012 19 governments from around the world decided to focus on accountability and establishing an independent and multilateral organization that would work toward accountability and justice for all Syrians. From that point on, the Syria Justice and Accountability Center (SJAC) was an international priority and IREX was asked to take a lead in making the institution a reality.
• Assist with SJAC staffing and registration
• Creation of SJAC website and SJAC Clearinghouse site
• Management of SJAC partnerships and technical assistance provision
• Establish the SJAC's Steering Committee and support the creation of its guiding principles, mission statement and operating procedures
• Coordinate efforts and activities among primary partners, including technical experts, donor governments and those who wish to provide documentation