Egypt Media Development Program (MDP)
MDP offers training, consulting, and equipment assistance to Egyptian print and electronic media as well as to universities and other media support organizations. Funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the Media Development Program is implemented under a contract with Management Systems International, Inc. IREX provides the technical expertise on media development. Other implementing partners are CARE/Egypt and D3 Systems.
• Build media training capacity in Egypt to promote professional development among mid-career professionals, emerging journalists, and media managers.
• Improve the management and economic viability of Egyptian print and broadcast sectors.
• Strengthen the professionalism and organizational capacity of local and regional media.
• Improve the enabling environment for professional, objective, and economically viable media.
Egypt is undergoing a process of cautious transition in the media sector. The media sector remains heavily influenced by the state, but private newspapers and broadcasters as well as on-line media have begun to assume a greater role in the market. Blogging, social media and mobile platforms are also gaining popularity. In this evolving context, the Media Development Program is seeking to take advantage of opportunities for media capacity building at the local and national levels.
• Professional Development for Journalists and Media Managers: MDP provides consulting and grant support to universities, in-house training centers, and private training institutions to serve the media community with professional-level training in modern media management, journalism, development for media trainers, English language skills, and technology.
• Media Management, Business Training, and Improved Economic Viability for Print and Broadcast: MDP trains media business consultants and provides tailored consulting to media organizations in best international practices in media management and market research.
• Strengthening Local and Regional Media: Through training, news exchange and syndicate building, technical assistance, and capacity building for local media outlets, MDP supports media across Egypt in reporting on local issues with improved professionalism and market sustainability.
• Advancing an Enabling Environment for Independent Media: MDP strengthens media associations and local organizations in support of media excellence and policy reform. Through capacity building for media units of NGOs and activities to strengthen advocacy and outreach to enhance media trust and credibility, such as media law and ethics trainings, MDP fosters broad support across professional sectors for objective and economically viable media in Egypt.